How To Remove A Speed Limiter On A GM Truck?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
General Motors (GM) is a multinational automobile manufacturing company in the United States. The company is the largest automobile company in the United States and one of the largest automobile companies in the world.
One of the problems that a GM truck encounters is the speed limiter problem. There are some specific reasons why your truck may have a speed limiter problem and in this article, we will try to find out all the reasons. Not only that, but we will also discuss in detail how to change a speed limiter.
What Is a Speed Limiter on a GM Truck?
A limiter is a vehicle’s Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) system that is mounted on the control unit. A vehicle speed limiter is a system that will prevent your vehicle from going above a certain speed.
However, you can press the accelerator if you want, but the speed limiter will prevent your vehicle from going out of speed.
Now the question may be, what is the main function of a speed limiter? Generally speaking, it measures the speed of your vehicle and sends data to your vehicle’s Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Whenever the speed limiter’s sensor detects that your vehicle is going to exceed the predefined speed, it reduces engine fuel and airflow. As a result, even if you press the accelerator, the speed of your vehicle will not increase.
However, in case of emergency, if you press hard on the accelerator, the speed of your vehicle can be increased. However, keep in mind that this system is not associated with your vehicle’s brake system.
The vehicles we see around us use two main types of speed limiters. They are:
- Adjustable and
An adjustable speed limiter is to set the speed limit through a driver. The limit can be changed later if necessary. The adjustable speed limiter is the most common.
An intelligent speed limiter, on the other hand, is an advanced technology with a camera attached that can detect roadside speed signs. As a result, the speed of your vehicle is automatically limited.
Why and When Should I Remove a Speed Limiter on a GM Truck?
Your vehicle’s speed limiter may be damaged and this is normal. Automobiles and electronic products can be damaged at any time while running well. Since spoilage is a daily issue for such products, we need to know the reason behind it.
Here are some of the reasons why your vehicle’s speed limiter breaks down:
- Circuit breakdown: Sometimes after a long journey, the electronic components of your vehicle become overheated. In this case, since the speed limiter is an electronic device, the internal circuit may be damaged or burned. Then you need to change the limiter of your vehicle.
- When the sensor is damaged: Yes, sometimes the sensor of the speed limiter is damaged. Then your car limiter cannot read the correct speed. As a result, PCM does not get any reading from the limiter. Then your car goes out of the preset speed but is not automatically limited.
- When the camera goes bad: As we learned earlier in this article, the intelligent speed limiter has a camera attached to mark the speed sign.
Many times this camera becomes faulty. However, in this case, only replacing the camera solves the problem.
However, if the camera is short-circuited, its effect can fall on the circuit of the speed limiter and the circuit can be damaged. In that case, you have to change both parts.
- In case of internal software Problems: RAM is added to increase the working capacity of modern speed limiters. As a result, the limiters can keep a record of the speed readings previously held.
If the RAM of your vehicle’s speed limiter is bad, you may need to replace the limiter.
How to Remove the Speed Limiter on a GM Truck?
The method of removing the speed limiter of different vehicles is different. Since we are discussing GM trucks in this article, we will learn how to remove or turn off the speed limiter of some common and popular GM trucks.
With A Tuner-
Let’s learn step by step how to remove the speed limiter of your vehicle with a tuner.
- First, connect the tuner’s OBD 2 cable to the port below your vehicle’s dashboard.
- When the tuner is on, you will see an option called “Program Vehicle”. Click on it.
- You will then see an option called “Strategy Tune”. Clicking there will ask you to turn on your key. Turn on as usual.
- Then press “Continue” to turn off your key. Then turn it off. Remember it is not asking you to start your vehicle here. Just turn the key on and off once.
- Now you need to select the name of your vehicle. You will see the name of your vehicle on the tuner’s screen. Select it.
- From there, select “Adjust Options”. Then “Saved Options”.
- Then you will see several options which at the bottom there is an option called “Speed Limit” which you have to select.
- Now you will see different mileage on the screen of the tuner and at the very end of these, there is a “Speed Limit Off” option. Select it.
- The tuner will then start uploading information when you press “Cancel”. Now you have to turn off the vehicle and open the key.
Removing the Speed Limiter on Chevy Silverado-
All you have to do to remove the Chevy Silverado speed limiter is to press P when the speed warning appears on your vehicle. Or press V in the main view to set the speed value. Then press W or X to adjust the value.
Cost of Removing a Speed Limiter on a GM Truck?
If you want to know about the cost of removing the speed limiter of your vehicle, we will say that the service charge may vary depending on the servicing area and your vehicle model. However, considering the above factors, removing a speed limiter can cost from 80 to 150 dollars.
Removing your vehicle’s speed limiter means increasing your life risk. It is because a speed limiter prevents your vehicle from exceeding the pre-set speed. For which you can’t drive a vehicle even if you want to. It will keep your vehicle in good condition and above all your safety.
- Read Also>> What Does Engine Power Reduced Mean On Chevy Equinox?
- Read Also>> How To Fix P0106 Code On Chevy Cruze? (Explained)
- Read Also>> How to Reset the A/C on Chevy Silverado?
- Read Also>> Most Common Problems With 3.0 Duramax (You Should Know)
- Read Also>> 13 Most Common 6.6 LLY Duramax Problems(You Should Know)