Those who have a faulty turbo or upgrade the OEM one of their 6L Powerstroke engine should buy an aftermarket part.
Doing some research, you will find lots of products. But not all of them are capable of providing the kind of performance upgrade you are looking for.
That is why I have done that part and reviewed the best aftermarket turbo for 6.0 Powerstroke in this article. There are 5 products on the list so that you can find the right one within your budget limit. Let’s get started.
Best Aftermarket Turbo for 6.0L Powerstroke Reviews:
Not all available turbo for Powerstroke 6.0L diesel engine is worth your money and time. So, I have done the research and reviewed only the considerable models.
1. Fits Perfectly and Performs Great: Garrett GT3782VA
- Compatibility: 2005 (Mid) – 2007 6.0L Powerstroke
- Weight: 40 pounds
The main reason for selecting Garrett GT3782VA as the highest-rated turbo for the 6L Powerstroke engine is its durability. Also, the performance and features are unmatched by the competitors.
No other turbo on the market can offer such a product at this price range. The interesting fact is that some expensive models can’t beat Garrett GT3782VA in some aspects.
Customers love it because the manufacturer provides a gasket, O-rings, and spacers within the package. As a result, one saves even more. Installation is very easy and you can do it yourself. You won’t have to buy any accessories to mount it separately.
After you set it up, and run the truck, the first thing you will notice is the quick spool up. Such performance is possible because of the larger inducer and fewer veins. While running, you may hear a whistling sound which is created by the ten-vane exhaust wheel.
So, those who don’t want to spend over a thousand bucks but looking for a good-quality product must get this one. according to lots of mechanics, it is one of the best aftermarket turbos for 6.0 Powerstroke.
- Reliable and good-quality product with a decent warranty period
- Affordable but has an almost similar quality to high-end ones
- Performance-enhancing unison ring
- Increased wheel life by doing compressor testing
- Improved center housing made with machined recess preventing rust
- The V-clamps to support the turbo is not very strong
2. Highly Recommended and Sounds Great: KC STAGE 1 TURBO
- Compatibility: 2004 – 2007 6.0L Powerstroke
- Weight: 30 pounds
A small and lightweight turbo is KC Stage 1 which fits all 2004-2007 6L Powerstroke engines. At this point, you may wonder such a lightweight and compact turbo is not very capable. But you are wrong because the field tests show impressive data which is similar to the heavier ones.
Considering performance, one can immediately notice the turbo spooling up very quickly. Also, you have to give some credit to the 10-blade wheel, and billet wheel with extended tips which increases airflow.
Therefore, the device provides increased power as promised. And, you will love the sound besides the features. Inside the package, you will find a brand new VGT solenoid making it easier to install the turbo.
In spite of having lots of good things, I don’t like the price of KC Stage 1 Turbo. Comparing its features to competitor models, it seems a bit pricey. That is why it won’t be a good option for those who have a tight budget.
But don’t back out with a good amount of cash at hand. If you are looking for towing heavy trails, getting quick spools, and a decreased lag time, KC Stage 1 is the best bet.
- Capable of providing high boosting with the help of billet wheel
- Reduced lag time because of the quick spool with increased power
- Perfectly suitable with stock injectors without introducing lag
- Heavy and strong construction ensuring the longer service life
- Enables effective aspect ratio changes depending on the conditions
- Expensive and has a limited number of vehicle compatibility
3. Quality Product and Great Customer Service: KC STAGE 2 TURBO
- Compatibility: 2004 – 2007 6.0L Powerstroke
- Weight: 40 pounds
Here, I have got another premium-quality turbo from KC. Stage 2 has a very good build quality with an efficient internal design to provide excellent performance. Though the price is in the upper tier, it is worth its features and quality.
Like the previous one, it has a ten-blade turbine which increases airflow and produces a loud satisfying whistle sound. Another feature that has caught my attention is the billet wheel with extended tips enabling a higher boosting ability.
Furthermore, the turbo comes with a journal-bearing design, and it reduces load friction dramatically. Those who need this part urgently can place the order on Amazon. It is possible to get it within 24 hours of buying from the eCommerce giant.
Check out the fitment list, and make sure that your truck is prepared to take KC Stage 2. Owning a truck with a 6L Powerstroke engine means that this turbo is the best option for you. Not having a problem with the price, Stage 2 is the best aftermarket turbo for 6.0 Powerstroke Ford trucks.
- Intelligent and efficient design featuring easy installation
- Reduced lag time by providing quick spool-up
- Turbine with 10-blade settings for a loud whistle and more airflow
- Has GTX-style billet wheel enabling more boosting ability
- Load-friction reduced bearing design ensuring smooth functionality
- Supports only a limited number of engine models, and is very expensive
4. Sounds Like A Jet Plane Pulls Like A Freight Train: Garrett Powermax Turbocharger
- Compatibility: 2004(Mid) – 2007 6.0L Powerstroke
- Weight: 41.8 pounds
Garret Powermax is a perfect fit for the 6L Powerstroke engines built between 2004 and 2007. Whether the existing OEM turbo has become faulty or not, you can replace it with this aftermarket part.
It is to increase the overall engine performance and get more power. The first reason for such a benefit is that Powermax is larger than the stock turbo. To get the best results, you should fit it in the right way, and take the help of a mechanic if you are not experienced with such installations.
Furthermore, it creates a nice whistling sound, and some customers rate it as the best-sounding aftermarket turbo for the Powerstroke diesel engine. However, you should know that spooling up from a dead stop is not as fast as competitor models.
According to the manufacturer and its design, installing is not very tough for professionals. From the features, you can understand Garrett Powermax Turbocharger is a reliable aftermarket part that increases engine efficiency and power.
- Reliable and durable performer with a good warranty period
- Improved turbine efficiency with 9 movable vanes
- Comes with a large compressor wheel for better power output
- No modification required to the OEM exhaust system
- Installing the Turbocharger is a bit difficult for beginners
5. Most Affordable and Best Bang for Buck: Turbo Lab Powermax
- Compatibility: 2003 – 2007 6.0L Powerstroke
- Weight: 7.1 pounds
As Turbo Lab makes their products perfectly fit for specific engine models, you won’t have to modify anything. Because of good construction and intelligent design, this turbo is capable of supporting up to 175 HP overstock.
In the beginning, you may notice more smoke than usual. But give it some time, and the problem will go away. You will love the housing because it has a machined square on the back to give room for the VGT solenoid.
Just make sure to clock the new compressor cover exactly like the previous turbo, and you are good to go. After upgrading, you will notice an immediate change in the performance of the truck.
For a better towing capability and retaining factory spool up, I like this turbo more than other similar competitor products of the same price range. Also, give some credit to the compressor housing which is 0.70 A/R. It looks smaller in diameter yet wider making the part easy to install or remove.
For the price, you can’t find anything better than this one. The Powermax Turbo comes with a housing, compressor Wheel, O-ring, clamps, bolts, and plate. Therefore, there is no need to buy them separately saving some more money. If you have a very tight budget, Turbo Lab will be the best bang for your buck.
- The package includes turbo housing for more convenience
- Included all necessary items to install saving money
- Easy to install without expert help
- It may not be as durable as the other models on the list
Key Features to Consider for the best Aftermarket Turbo for 6.0 Powerstroke
Here, I am going to explain the parameters one must consider while choosing the right aftermarket performance-booster turbo for their 6L Powerstroke diesel engine.
The first and most important task is to make sure of the compatibility of your chosen aftermarket part. I have already given the engine fitment list for the 5 reviewed products. If you are doing the research yourself, make sure that the turbo fits your vehicle.
That is right. Not all brands manufacturers the best product in this category. You should go with a brand that has a good reputation in the market or community. For example, KC has that kind of popularity and track record. However, there are some other brands too that you can trust in my review.
The next thing to check is how easy the turbo installation process is. Some models can only be assembled by a professional and some can be mounted by a beginner.
Those who like to do things by themselves should get such an aftermarket turbo. Also, make sure that the package includes all the necessary accessories to install it. This way, you won’t have to spend more because the turbo itself is expensive.
To ensure a long service life and good construction, you have to go through the customer feedback. Powerstroke owners who are using the turbo for more than 6 months can tell you whether your chosen model is worth the investment.
Furthermore, look into the warranty period so that you can get a free replacement if there is any manufacturing fault.
How to Remove and Install a New Turbo in 6.0 Powerstroke
- Firstly, get rid of the coolant reservoir, wire harness, turbo lines, and turbo shields carefully maintaining the right order.
- After removing the turbo lines, you will get access. It may appear a bit tricky. Remove the downpipe clamp in this step.
- Then, try to reach out to a loose bearing on the existing turbo inlet. You have to twist the thing out of its place. As turbos are very heavy, you may need a helping hand to dismount them completely.
- Now, unbox the brand new aftermarket turbo and place it in the right place. The user manual should tell you how to properly install it.
- Finally, redo the first step in a reverse manner to put back everything in its place.
What Is The Best Turbo Upgrade For 6.0 Powerstroke?
The preference varies from person to person based on a few parameters. If you ask me, I will go for KC Stage 2 Turbo. It is the best upgrade your truck can have.
What Size Turbo Is On A 6.0 Powerstroke?
6.0 Powerstroke turbo size is 55mm.
How Much Horsepower Does A 6.0 Powerstroke Turbo Have?
The stock hardware and settings limit the power of a 6L Powerstroke engine up to 325HP at 3300 RPM. Upgrading the turbo, some other parts, and using a tuner, you can get much more power.
So, which one do you think is the best aftermarket turbo for 6.0 Powerstroke? Finding a reliable product from a trusted source is very important.
Because there are lots of counterfeit products on the market. Also, lots of sellers don’t keep their promises. If you can’t find one that you trust, you can rely on the links I have provided for the products. Click on the links, and you will find reliable sellers and products along with customer feedback on Amazon. Let me know in the comments which one you are going to buy.
- Read Also>>Best Aftermarket Turbo Upgrades For 6.7L Powerstroke In 2022
- Read Also>>5 Best Tuner for 6.7L Powerstroke Review In 2022
- Read Also>>5 Best Injectors For 6.0L Powerstroke Reviews In 2022
- Read Also>>5 Best Diesel Fuel Additive for Powerstroke Engine
- Read Also>>What is P0476 code on 7.3 Powerstroke? How To Fix