If you have a Toyota and you do not know what size license plate screws will fit your car, this article will help you through it. I am going to tell you what screws are good, why does a good screw make a differene, how to fix screws, and how much it costs to replace them.
License plate screws play an important role in terms of the safety of the license plate. A good screw can stop thieves from stealing your license plate. 1 x 0.5 x 0.5 inch license plate screws are recommended for Toyotas. Although the sizes may vary depending on the model of your car.
What Size Are Toyota License Plate Screws?
Toyota uses 1 x 0.5 inch screws for both front and rear license plates. Based on the manufacturing material and the design of the screws, there are a variety of screws you can choose from.
When purchasing screws, pay attention to the length of the screws. Your screw length should account for the whole registration mount, not just the length of the hole. The whole registration mount consists of:
- Screw overs with a base
- Car license plate cover (if legal)
- License plate frame
- License plate
- Frame gaskets
The total length of all of the foregoing components can easily exceed 12mm. If your screws are either too short or too long, they will not fit securely.
There are various types of materials used for screws. Below is a list of metal screw materials:
- General-purpose metal
- Provides minimum rust resistance
- Highly hardened
- Offers little corrosion resistance
- General use
- Relatively expensive
- Moderate corrosion resistance
Chrome and Nickel Plated Steel
- Smooth and polished appearance
- Moderate corrosion resistance
Type 304 Stainless Steel
- Resists corrosion
- More expensive than zinc plated steel
Type 316 Stainless Steel
- Withstands solvents caused by outdoor environments
Brass and Bronze
- Good corrosion resistance
- More expensive than steel
- Mild resistance to corrosion
- Weights one-third of steel
- Resists more chemicals than stainless steel
- Extremely strong
- Won’t rust
- Breaks easily
- Prevents rusting
Are All Toyota License Plate Screws the Same Size?
Screws come in a variety of sizes and materials, depending on the manufacturer. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) screws are screws designed specifically for specific models and manufacturers.
All Toyota license plate screws are the same if not mentioned otherwise by the manufacturer.
What are the Best Toyota License Plate Screws?
You may select from a range of license plate screws for your Toyota. There are regular screws, alloy steel screws, plastic screws, aluminum screws, etc. The prices of these screws may vary as the materials and designs are different.
I have shortlisted some of the best license plate screws for Toyota-
|HPP License Plate Stainless Steel Srews||Stainless Steel|
|Rustproof, Self Tapping Mounting Bolts||Stainless Steel, zinc coating exterior|
|LivTee Rustproof License Plate Screws||Nylon, stainless steel|
|ProElite Metal Anti-Theft License Plate Fasteners||Stainless steel|
|ProElite Anti-Theft License Plate Fasteners||Stainless steel|
How To Fix a Snapped License Plate Screw?
Fixing a snapped license plate screw can be tricky but it is not impossible. You have to carefully Dremel out a shaft and use a flat head to ease it out.
After creating a shaft, if it still feels stuck, spray some penetrating oil in there. This should make it easier to pull the broken part out.
If you still cannot fix the snapped plate, it is recommended to visit a workshop and get it done by the professionals.
Do Anti-Theft License Plate Screws Work?
Anti-theft screws are one-way screws that help protect your number plates from theft. These screws are designed in a non-traditional way.
These screws cannot be unscrewed with a conventional screwdriver. There is a special tool to unlock these screws that come with the screw when you purchase them. This unique feature of the screw secures the license plate.
Is There Any Alternative To License Plate Screw?
There are several alternatives to the traditional screw-on license plate. To prevent bumper damage caused by license plate screws, you can purchase license plate fasteners such as an adhesive mount, tow hook, or even a magnetic mount.
Adhesive mounting brackets fasten the license plate to the bumper using a strong adhesive. Because adhesive mounts differ by car make and model, visit your local automotive store’s cruiser accessories area or conduct some research online to see which mount will work best for you.
To secure an adhesive mount, follow these steps:
- To make the adhesive stick, clean the mounting spot of your automobile using alcohol wipes.
- Hover the mount over the mounting spot to ensure it is centered.
- While doing this, keep the protective film on.
- Remove the protective film from the bracket and attach it to your bumper.
- Attach your license plate to your mounting bracket with screws.
You may use the tow hook on your automobile to secure your front license plate.
To install a tow hook bracket, follow these steps:
- Find the anchor for your tow hook.
- A plastic plate covers your tow hook on most automobiles; push the plate and your tow hook should spring out.
- To tighten your tow hook anchor, screw a tow hook stud into it and spin it clockwise.
- Install a bolt through the tow hook stud and the hole in the center of your bracket.
- Turn the bolt clockwise with a ratchet until it tightens.
- Attach your license plate to your bracket with screws.
Magnetic Mounting Bracket
The installation of a magnetic mounting bracket is a difficult task. To begin, remove the front bumper and then the self-tapping magnet. The license plate bracket will then be mounted, the bumper will be reattached, and the license plate will be secured over top.
License plate screws play an important role in the safety of your license plate. These screws cost only a few bucks but can save you from a lot of hassle.
If you drive a Toyota, it is recommended that you get a good license plate screw to secure your license plate.